- Peter Raab | ARCHITECT | LEED AP | OFFICE HOURS : TH 5:00P – 6:00P + BY APPOINTMENT
- Architectural Construction III . Prerequisite: Arch 3350.
- Study of structural capacity, connection design, and envelope performance and cost with an emphasis on cladding.
- Introduction to system integration.
This course is intended to:
- Introduce the integration and interaction of building systems with an emphasis on structural members and envelopes.
- Convey an understanding of material usage and behavior to better inform design decisions.
- Focus on understanding wall configuration, transfer of loads, design development detailing, glazing and sustainability.
- Material science and quantitative analysis used to determine the preliminary sizes of spanning and support members.
- Applied statics emphasizing schematic calculations for the analysis of components of various structural systems.
- Examine the structural behavior of wood and steel to allow judgment in areas of material, form, and process.
- Introduce key and informative structural precedents for means of analysis, interpretation and emulation.
- Cultivate a spirit of inquiry of how the world works and how structure can play an influential role in creating form.
- [Section 090] : T + R, 3:30-4:50P [lecture] | Media + Communications Building, Room 075.
- [Section 501] : W, 5:30P - 6:50P [lab] | Media & Communications Building, Room 265.
- [Section 502] : W, 5:30P - 6:50P [lab] | Media & Communications Building, Room 168
- [Section 503] : W, 5:30P - 6:50P [lab] | Media & Communications Building, Room 269B.
- [Section 504] : W, 5:30P - 6:50P [lab] | Architecture Building, Room 102.
- [Section 505] : M, 5:30P - 6:50P [lab] | Architecture Building, Room 102.
GRADUATE / STUDENT ASSISTANTS
- ADRIANA BARRIENTOS | Section 501 + 505 | ADRIANA.BARRIENTOS@TTU.EDU
- VICENTE CARRASCO | Section 502 | VICENTE.CARRASCO@TTU.EDU
- JESSE NEDUNURI | Section 503 | JESSE.NEDUNURI@TTU.EDU
- RICK TORRES | Section 504 | RICARDO.TORRES@TTU.EDU
- Course Syllabus
- Link to Blackboard
ASSIGNMENTS / HOMEWORK
- HW01 : Statics Recap
- PR01: ENVELOPES
- Section 04 Presentations
- PR02: CONNECTIONS
- Dissecting Diagrids, Architect Magazine; Oct 2011
- Maria Mingallon Lecture for Tex Fab 4; 2013
- Arup: Metropol Parasol, Seville - timber mega-structure
- Billie Faircloth, "The Beauty + Mystery of the 2x4" TedX Philly, Dec 2011
STEEL + CONCRETE PRECEDENTS:
- Precedent: SHoP Architects 920 Mulberry
- Precedent: Trahan Architects, Holy Rosary Center
- Precedent: Trahan Architects, Louisiana State Museum
How It's Made Videos:
- Concrete Pipe - begins at 15:34.
- Bent Hardwood for furniture - begins at 11:00.
- Construction Lumber - begins at 5:58.
- Float Glass Process
- Double Glazing Manufacturing Process
- Unitized Curtain Wall Installation
- Curtain Wall at Milstein Hall