SESSION 1 - CHARETTE — Project Statement
The SESSION 1 - CHARETTE and DAILY PRACTICE projects are interwoven with the common goal to create a perceptual apparatus for persistently recording liminal conditions throughout the term. Consider the lessons of the drawing apparatus of Albrecht Drürer (1471-1528), motion studies of Edward Muybridge (1830-1904) and the chronophotography of Étienne-Jules Marey. Tectonic intelligence, aesthetic presence, and constructional durability will be equally essential to the conception and operation of this device. Once built and tested data accretion will be the primary collection strategy to create indelible observations within the age of digital reproduction. Place emphasis on the ability of the apparatus to negotiate and record the liminal horizon between landscape—architecture—landscape.
- Construct a perceptual apparatus for persistently recording liminal conditions throughout the term.
- Manifest tectonic intelligence, aesthetic presence, and constructional durability in the apparatus conception and operation.
- Develop a rigorous and reliable system for incremental data accretion.
- Focus on liminal conditions of landscape—architecture—landscape // space // light // form.
- Construct apparatus of durable materials capable of withstanding daily use, the rigors of travel, ongoing refinement.
- Individual images must include consistent amount of apparatus frame. Use jigs, stops and guidelines to insure consistency.
- Apparatus must include the following elements:
- Persistent horizon line secured straight and true parallel to the bottom of the frame.
- Tubular level set into the lower edge of the top frame so it becomes part of the image.
- Secure method of holding camera in fixed position (tee nut or friction fit with stops).
- Secure method for attaching apparatus to ground via a tripod or other stable method. Ability to adjust position of apparatus will be essential to insure level and alignment with light or site conditions.
- Identification markings to aid use, orientation, and ownership.
- Vertical open dimension of apparatus frame to be 12”.
- Perceptual apparatus used to create individual daily image.
- Liminal spatial construction built within the perceptual apparatus.
- Drawings and documentation of liminal spatial construction within the apparatus.
- Stop animation of liminal spatial construction within the perceptual apparatus.
- Documentation of apparatus in use.
- Process drawings and/or models created during design and fabrication.
- Assigned: 14 January 2015
- Due: 30 January 2015
- 15% of course total.
2015 Liminal Studio Studio Home