DIGITAL DESIGN LAB
- CNC Router
- CNC Robot
- Blade Cutter
- Dimension Elite
- Form Labs 2
- ZPrinter 350
- New Matter
FILE SUBMITTAL INFO
The CoA Computer Labs (see which desktops are currently not in use) contain 25 single-monitor and 7 dual-monitor desktops for student use. These desktops are equipped with the latest software in use by professional in the architectural and design/construction related fields.
The DDF program also hosts annual computational workshops - DDF Workshops - and invites professional designers, currently working on/producing innovative projects, proficient in using the latest design software.
The following is a list of software packages used by students at the College of Architecture.
This 3-D modeling software specializes in free-form, non-uniform rational NURBS modeling. This program is diverse with multi-disciplinary functions, a low learning-curve, and its ability to import and export over 30 file formats, allowing Rhino to act as a 'converter' tool between programs in a design workflow. This software is commonly used for industrial design, architecture, marine design, jewelry design, automotive design, CAD / CAM, rapid prototyping, reverse engineering, product design, and even in the multimedia and graphic design industries.
TTU students are able to purchase Rhino 5 from Creation Engine at a reduced price through the Texas Tech Store. If you are unable to log-in at the link below, please contact Unit Manager/Senior Technician | Maria Jeffery
- CreationEngine Texas Tech Rhino 5 license
- NOVEDGE RHINO 5 Educational license
- A suite to enhance Rhino 5 for the Architectural, Engineering and Construction Industries, developed by Virtual Build Technologies LLC. This plug-in is ideal for 3D structure modeling, clash & clear analysis and structural analysis within the Rhino program. RhinoBIM
- This free plug-in helps generate 2D and 3D cellular patterns and populate them over rectangular grids. It supports intuitive design of paneling concepts as well as rationalize complex geometry into a format that is suitable for analysis and fabrication.
- Paneling Tools for Rhino
- Paneling Tools for GH
- Rhino 5 has a built-in | Python script editor, a powerful scripting language built for flexibility and clear syntax. | Rhino.Python Also available as a GH component | GH Python
- A highly optimized day-lighting and energy modeling plug-in for the Rhino. This plug-in was initially developed at the GSD at Harvard University and is now distributed/developed by Solemma LLC. It allows users to carry out a series of environmental performance evaluations of individual buildings and urban landscapes including Radiation Maps, Photorealistic Renderings, Climate-Based Daylighting Metrics, Annual and Individual Time Step Glare Analysis, LEED and CHPS Daylighting Compliance, and Single Thermal Zone Energy and Load Calculations
- DIVA for Rhino
FOR OTHER RHINO ADD-ONS
- Rhino Resources & Food for Rhino
- A Rhino plug-in that combines the free-form modeling power of Rhino and the legendary machining capabilities of VisualMILL. RhinoCAM includes 2-1/2, 3, 4 & 5 axis milling and hole making operations. It comes with hundreds of free post-processors as well as a post-processor generator to create user definable post-processors.
- RhinoCAM license
- A FREE graphical algorithm editor tightly integrated with Rhino’s 3-D modeling tools.
- Grasshopper 3D Plug-in for Rhino 3D
- We highly suggest the following add-ons for Grasshopper:
- Allows your computer to compute the convex hull, Delaunay triangulation, Voronoi diagram, halfspace intersection about a point, furthest-site Delaunay triangulation, and furthest-site Voronoi diagram. Qhull implements the Quickhull algorithm, handles round-off errors from floating point arithmetic and computes volumes, surface areas, and approximations to the convex hull. It more flexibility than the 3D Voronoi found in GH. | Qhull
- Qhull for GH
- A free live physics engine for interactive simulation, optimization and form-finding directly within Grasshopper. Kangaroo for GH
- A free topological modeler that contains many of the known subdivision and transformation operators, readily usable by designers. This plug-in reconstructs shapes, subdivides any mesh, even made by polylines, and helps prepare for fabrication. Weaverbird
- This free plug-in allows you to export complex geometries very quickly, evaluate your design, and access the performances data between Ecotect and Grasshopper. This single process or loop helps improve performance and the design of a building in the context of its environment. GECO
- A free plug-in that consists of a set of Grasshopper components and Revit add-ins used to facilitate the creation of Revit native geometry. This process utilizes a simplified pseudo-language in Excel to describe all aspects of the Revit BIM geometry. Hummingbird
- An energy modeling component that allows designers to quickly create multi-zone energy models and simulations for building designs. This tool comes with an abstract thermal model class library and various functions such as “early design auto-zoning” and “automated intersections” that assist with model creation, simulation, and result visualization. ArchSim
- Particle Flow & Vector Fields
- Sonic 4 GH
- SPM Vector Components
- This free plug-in is dedicated to bridging the gap between Grasshopper, the Arduino micro-controller, the internet and beyond. It allows near real-time data flow between the digital and physical worlds, and will read/write data to/from internet feeds, remote sensors and more. It also includes a Pachube reader. Firefly for GH
- FOR OTHER GRASSHOPPER ADD-ONS
- Grasshopper3D & Food4Rhino
A visualization solution for professionals that generates high-quality images.
- Creation Engine V-Ray Educational license
- NOVEDGE V-Ray Educational license
- V-Ray Educational license
The ARDC has over 30 high-performance computers networked together to produce high resolution renderings of complex scenes for animation sequences. Uses include design visualization and virtual interpretation of historical architecture and archaeology.
- Instruction to ARDC Render Farm using 3D Studio Max
- Instruction to ARDC Render Farm using V-Ray for Rhino 4.0
- Instructions for V-Ray 1.5 for Rhino 5 coming soon
- AutoDesk Student Cloud Services
- AutoDesk Maya & 3DS Max Backburner for Network Rendering: AutoDesk Backburner Guide
FREE Autodesk Student license
3DS MAX DESIGN
- Integrated 3D modeling, animation, and rendering software that enables artists and designers to creative projects. 3DS Max Design offer specialized toolsets for architects, designers, engineers, and visualization specialists.
- 3DS Max
- Animation software that delivers a comprehensive creative feature set with tools for animation, modeling, simulation, rendering, matchmoving, and compositing on a highly extensible production platform.
- Built for Building Information Modeling (BIM), this software facilitates building professionals to collaborate to design, build, and maintain higher-quality, more energy-efficient buildings. :Revit
- The program offers tools that enable professionals to visualize and simulate an existing or new building's performance within the context of its environment. These tool include whole-building energy analysis, thermal performance, water usage and cost evaluation, solar radiation, day-lighting, and shadows-reflection analysis.
- A family of easy to use programs for PC/Macs, iPad/iPhone apps, or web apps. Family includes: Make (fabrication), Catch (3d models from photos), Creature (tactile character modeling), Design (modeling for 3d printing), Sculpt (tactile modeling), TinkerCAD (3d modeling), and The Sandbox (apps in progress).
- 123D Apps
- A 3D Printing Cloud Engine. Upload your designs online for 3D printing, 3D viewing, and/or selling. The site has technology to verify your 3D model and detect any potential issues before 3D printing. Their online tools let you repair your model and manage changes.
State-of-the-art software for editing images, creating presentations and graphics, and developing a polished portfolio. Adobe CS6 Design Standard includes Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, & Acrobat X Pro.
- Adobe CS6 Design Standard for Students
This program introduces direct modeling capabilities into the native BIM environment with its MORPH tool. Connected with the cloud-based BIM Component database, users are able to create and share custom BIM components. The built-in Energy Evaluation functionality allows the user to perform reliable dynamic energy evaluation of their BIM model within the program.
- ArchiCAD Education license
The following are powerful programs also used by students at TTU College of Architecture not found in the computer lab desktops:
A FREE open source programming language and environment for people who want to create images, animations, and interactions. Today, there are tens of thousands of students, artists, designers, researchers, and hobbyists who use Processing for learning, prototyping, and production.
A FREE open-source electronics prototyping platform. It's intended for artists, designers, hobbyists, and anyone interested in creating interactive objects or environments.
This software offers comprehensive 3D mechanical design, product simulation, tooling creation, engineer to order, and design communication. It takes you beyond 3D to Digital Prototyping by enabling the designer to produce an accurate 3D model that can help them design, visualize, and simulate their products before they are built.
AUTODESK ROBOT STRUCTURAL ANALYSIS
This software provides structural engineers with advanced building simulation and analysis capabilities for large and complex structures. It offers a smoother workflow and interoperability with Revit Structure software to extend the BIM process, enabling engineers to quickly perform comprehensive simulation and analysis of a variety of structures.
- Robot Structural Analysis
Gehry Technologies brings us Digital Project Designer, a comprehensive 3D modeler with an extensive set of tools for creating and managing Building Information throughout the building lifecycle.
- DP Academic Individual license